Dancing on Ice!

In the Doctors surgery last week, waiting to see my G.P in agony, I had a phone call on my mobile.  Ordinarily I switch the phone off when at the Doctors.  It was a number I didn't recognise.  Anyhoo... it was a man called James from Visit Liverpool who told me I had won a competition with them.  And what a competition win it was!  A VIP box in the Echo Arena, Liverpool to watch the Dancing on Ice tour and luxury apartments for us to stay overnight.  Oh, did I mention this was for TEN people?  He also wangled free admission for us all to The Beatles Story on Albert Dock.  So, we six, my parents and my friend and her daughter were off to Liverpool!  It was a week before my birthday, which was a lovely treat, as my husband was due to have an operation on my birthday, and then be in plaster and out of action for 12 weeks (give me strength...).

Aside from going once before to the Echo Arena, late at night, I had never been to Liverpool before and I was plagued with stereotypes.  All of which have now, gladly, been shattered.  What an amazing city!

Making ourselves at home in the Penthouse suite!


Our VIP box, where we were greeted with Pina Colada cocktails, and the children had fresh orange juice!


The show itself was absolutely breathtaking.

The view from the terrace as I sipped my morning coffee and munched on my bacon butty!

The view from the Echo Wheel of Liverpool


This picture speaks for itself, at the end of The Beatles Story.  Really interesting exhibition, even for those who, unlike me, aren't huge fans of the Fab Four.

We ate on the hop (as per usual - struggling for time) and before the show we found a nice chippy on Lord Street - the L1 Fish and Chip shop.  Service wasn't great, it wasn't particularly busy, and the young girl serving us made us feel like we were inconveniencing her, but the food more than made up for it.  The cod was fresh and piping hot, the batter just the right thickness and crispy, and the chips - probably the best chippy chips I've had in a long, long time. 

The apartments we stayed in were The Lever Court Apartments on Duke Street.  I'd never considered this type of accommodation before but taking into account the size of our family, and how much it would cost in a hotel, I would definitely stay here again.  All in all a lovely - if frenzied - 24 hours in Liverpool.  Can't wait to go back!

Comments