November 15th is Frazzled Gratitude Day

In my house at least. The other alternative is 'Clean your Refrigerator Day'. It's not happening. Not today anyway. If anyone wants to come and clean my refrigerator though, I won't refuse. It's the one bearing the sign 'Abandon all hope ye who enter here'. Bring rubber gloves. And don't judge me.

I've woke up today in a stinky mood. Really feeling sorry for myself, and for me, that's a slippery slope. Walking downstairs to last night's dishes waiting for me, the living room untidy (a coffee cup and a few cushions on the floor but untidy cushions are a bug bear - I turn into Monica from 'Friends' and it's not pleasant), an ironing pile currently at three feet high (and rising) and the children who take anything up to half an hour to eat a bowl of cereal. Husband in bed, and two children to take to their physiotherapy appointment at 9.30 am. I don't drive. Whinge, whinge, whinge...

Strong coffee outside in my back garden and I realise - it's November, and I'm in my back garden, in the morning. The sky is blue, birds are chirping away, it's not even cold. Not Autumn/Winter cold anyway. What on earth am I moaning about? I am one woman doing the work of two parents. This is the reality for single parents the world over, every day. My situation is temporary. My husband isn't in bed because he's lazy, or unhelpful, he's there because it's 6 days on from his three operations and he's zonked out on strong pain killers. His operation was to hopefully return his quality of life by leaving him pain free for the first time in about 5 years, but at least he's not critically ill. The dishes, when washed, dried and kept, make a reappearance three times, every day. The ironing the same, with every washload.  It can wait. I'll be in the same boat again tomorrow.  My home may be upside down, but I have a home, and it is a home too.  My husband is on the mend thanks to free healthcare we receive here in the UK.  What's a few dishes and scatter cushions?

Sometimes we're just so stressed that we don't realise how lucky we really are, and we don't half sweat the small stuff!  So I am a really Frazzled Shell today, but I am a grateful Frazzled Shell at that!

Comments

  1. I too find myself having to change my perspective and realizing just how blessed I am. There are so many other things that could be wrong in this life, but as long as we still have our families, health, and a home we can make the next day better. Following from the Friendly Friday blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true words indeed, we should all think more about what's right and not what's wrong. I am a very lucky woman indeed. Thank you for your lovely comment

      M x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, so if you should stop by, just give a little wave to me and be sure to say 'Hi!' :-)

I know, I know... poetry also not my strong point...