Recipe - Creamy King Prawn Pasta

I'm on a roll - two days of cooking something (kind of) from scratch!  I've been making this recipe for about 4 years now, and when I first came across it, I didn't think it would work, but it did.  The best part about it is, it's so simple, if you get your bits and bobs chopped and measured out, you can literally make it in the time it takes your accompanying pan of pasta to cook.

I don't get any marks out of ten for presentation, I know, but trust me that this dish tastes amazing.


Ingredients
Olive or groundnut oil
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
250g King Prawns, preferably raw
4 chopped spring onions
125 ml Dry white wine (tonight I used Pinot Grigio)
125 ml Double cream
Fresh Basil leaves (I used about 8 large ones)
16 baby plum tomatoes, chopped
Pinch of Cayenne pepper, or to taste (I use a good teaspoon!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Pasta
Crusty bread or garlic bread slices to dip

Gather all your ingredients together

The bottle of wine, incidentally, is hiding THE most sorriest looking basil plant you've ever seen.  It's only a week old.  It's died twice.  Once more and it's going in the compost bin.

Chop all your bits and bobs up ready

 Put your pasta on to boil.

Garlic and spring onions cooking on a medium heat

Ideally I use raw king prawns, which go into the pan with the garlic and spring onion, and they are cooked until pink, turned over until the other side is pink, then you set the prawns aside on a plate. I only had cooked prawns tonight, so I set them aside until the last stage.  Everything else in the recipe continues the same whether or not.

White wine and cream added

Add the glass of wine and double cream to the pan, bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.

Tomatoes added

Add the baby plum tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes more.


Add the Cayenne pepper

Add the Cayenne pepper as you like it (I use a lot!) and season with salt and ground black pepper, if desired.

Add your prawns to the pan

Return your prawns to the pan, this is just to warm them through, don't overcook them or they'll be rubbery.  Add the basil to the pan, tear the leaves by hand.  Stir everything together.  By this point, your pasta should be cooked. 

I hate food waste...

Unfortunately, you will have a good two-thirds of a bottle of wine left over.  This can now be poured down the sink.  Or, apparently Pinot Grigio goes well with Seafood and creamy pasta dishes... I don't know if there's any truth in that though*.

* Yes, there is an absolute truth in that.  Hence why I 'forgot' to post this last night...

Let me know if you try this recipe!

Comments

  1. This looks AMAZING! It's only 8:30 a.m. here and I don't want eggs for breakfast-I want THIS! NOW! I'm so going to make this dish! Following you back via GFC. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you so much for your lovely comment! I must admit, I've been looking at the pictures today and I could eat this again myself, right now :-) I hope you enjoy it when you make it

      M x

      Delete
  2. looks lovely...going to try this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know what you think of it :-) Think I'll have to make it again this week, after looking at it again :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, so if you should stop by, just give a little wave to me and be sure to say 'Hi!' :-)

I know, I know... poetry also not my strong point...