Recipe - Homemade Tartare Sauce

Recipe Retry #3 is only a small one.  Tea today isn't very exciting, Cod and chips - straight from the freezer.  I can't be meandering around the kitchen like a fat Nigella every day you know... ;-)  I've always liked to have Tartare Sauce with Cod, and pretty much everywhere I've dined has had the bog standard shop-bought variety.  Only once I've had it homemade.  It was my second date with Mr G, he'd come down for the weekend and we went out for lunch on the Sunday before he went home.  I ordered the Cod, and they brought out a dish of thick, chunky Tartare sauce.  Not the runny, cloying, sour stuff I'd been used to.  Well - I could have eaten the contents of the dish on my own and foregone the fish.  I knew the waitress very well - she also prepped in the kitchen, so I asked her how it was made.  So simple, and so much tastier.  This is how it's done:

Ingredients
Mayonnaise - I used low fat
Capers
Gherkins
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Chives
Salt
Lemon juice

No amounts here, just initiative.  Chop the capers and gherkins up as fine or chunky as you want.  Add herbs and the seasoning to your own liking.  Simple!

Comments