Recipe - Apple Crumble Cake


Have your cake and eat (your crumble)

Another throwback recipe, I've probably not made this for about ten years!  Very tasty and very simple, you could make this with ingredients from your store cupboard.  I'd imagine other tinned fruits such as peaches or pineapples would work well in this recipe.  This time I am using up a bag of frozen apple slices that I bought over a month ago (with the intention of making smoothies... you know me!  Best intentions!)

Today's post has been enhanced by two things of beauty; my new iPad mini that I won last week, and the stand mixer my lovely hubby bought for me for Christmas.  I have an iPad, and a stand mixer.  I need no present, ever again, for the rest of my life.  I am now complete.  My photos are still crap, but they have a pretty border around them now!   They say you can't polish a turd but I've had a bloody good try :-)


Beautiful.  Just beautiful.

Ingredients:
For the cake mix -
2 oz butter
3 oz caster sugar
1 egg
4 oz self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence

For the crumble mix -
3 oz self raising flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1½ oz butter
1 oz caster sugar

Tinned or thawed frozen apple slices, drained and patted dry with kitchen paper.

Method:

Grease and line a 7 inch deep baking tin.  Sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar.  Keep to one side.




Put the butter, caster sugar, egg, vanilla and flour into a bowl or stand mixer and beat for 2 minutes until smooth.  Spoon the mix into the prepared tin.  It will be a bit thicker than a normal cake mix.






Lay the apple slices on top of the cake mix and sprinkle over the crumble mix.  I drizzled a little golden syrup over the apples as they were quite tart.




I preheated my oven to Gas Mark 3/160C and baked for an hour on the middle shelf.  Naturally I had to sample the bowl I snapped a picture of, and it was very nice indeed, the sweetness of the crumble and the cake contrasting with the tartness of the apples.  Downside is I can't have any dinner now.  Happy days!

M x

Comments

  1. Oh my.... this looks gorgeous Shell! Fab pictures, and LOVE your mixer, I'm sorry i didn't go for that one now after all! xx

    ps. HUGE congrats on the iPad win! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) It was really nice, not too sweet or rich like my usual offerings! The mixer is great, it folds up really small, it's actually the first time I used it! I have got a recipe for making pitta bread in one that I've been dying to try for weeks now, I was hoping to make it today, but I had a nice letter from the Council when I got back from shopping, and let's just say I was bouncing like a proverbial G when I read it. And have subsequently been at my computer from 1pm. And I'm still there now. And I'm on page 8 of my letter. A mi... wna'i hefyd!

      I love my iPad. I don't think it will ever replace my desktop completely, but it's pretty cool! Thank you :-) xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, so if you should stop by, just give a little wave to me and be sure to say 'Hi!' :-)

I know, I know... poetry also not my strong point...