Fathers Day 2015 - A most unusual present...

This post comes a little bit late in the day... I am at odds with the Blogger iPad app at the moment, it changes font mid post, my pictures are always posted to the left, so it's only when I find the time can be bothered to go upstairs and put my older than dirt, slower than a tortoise desktop on to remedy the app's mangling of my post, that things get posted!  

I think it's safe to say that Mr G is a tattoo junkie.  From his very first, very basic but very sweet 'Steve and Michelle' in a heart back in 2000 (which was a bit of a risk after mere months of dating!) he has had our children's names inked, our wedding date, a tattoo for his parents, a cover up of some dodgy Chinese writing, praying hands, a tattoo paying homage to his rugby team, and lately a beautiful, stunning tattoo by Paul Mellor Studios in Bangor, roses surrounding a pocket watch.  Every tattoo is deeply personal to him or us in some way. The time on the pocket watch is set to 11.11 because I am driven mad seeing 11.11 or 1111 everywhere.  We saw a Maneki Neko tattoo on somebody and I commented that I would love him to have that done, as I collect them.  He mentioned it to Paul who said he'd love to have a go at it.  So he booked in to have that done last Friday and it was his Fathers Day gift from us.  Until the week before.  Paul is a very gifted artist and his portrait tattoos are second to none, and he mentioned that he'd like to do more portrait tattoos.  Mr G saw a lovely picture of Catherine and Allison Pierce (aka singing sisters The Pierces, one of our favourite groups) took it to Paul who ok'd it.  So, therein lies the answer to why my husband now has a tattoo of two stunningly beautiful women on his arm.  And none of them are me.  He has one untouched leg, and I have reserved that for my cat.  Not a euphemism.


I shared the photo with a fan group of The Pierces that we belong to on Facebook.  And then the oddest thing happened...

Cat Pierce got in on the act on Facebook... Instagram... and...

I say 'Holy Shitballs' too... :-)

Twitter...

To say Mr G's year was made is an understatement.  But then, I am the best wife ever, and I make these things happen sooooooooo... ;-)  Sheds, drums, Summerhouse, interaction with a gorgeous, famous blonde - see me. 

We went out for Fathers Day lunch with Ma and Pa to The Antelope Inn.  A tad early as I'm a cheapskate and thought it easier to pay for four for lunch midweek than 8 on Fathers Day itself.  I was all up for trying somewhere new but The Antelope is consistent and I know Dad likes it there.  Mr G had the mega stack burger, which was so big he had to dissect it.  I had the Chicken Tikka burger, which was a plain chicken breast with a drizzle of tikka sauce, with supposed onion bhaji pieces (there was one tiny blink-and-you-miss it piece...) and Mum and Dad had the gammon.  It was ok, but their portions and presentation leave a lot to be desired?  My and Mr G's plate looked bare.  The chips come in teacups now, and the portion you get is ridiculous.  Like you'd get on a child's meal anywhere else.  No veg, no side salad.  When I worked in the pub, a side salad went on a meal like this as standard unless requested otherwise.  


Compared to my Mum's plate...


See what I mean?  Whose meal looks nicest?  Ironically, the cheapest!  Just little touches that make it look like you've made an effort for your customers.  Like The Tap and Spile, serving my mixed grill on a sizzle platter a few weeks ago.  It was ok, cheap and cheerful, but very generic pub-chain food.  The soft drinks are often flat so avoid taking ice if you have a fizzy one.  On the plus side, two can eat from a decent menu range for £10, including gammon, steak, cod, pie, all day breakfast, curry, burger etc.  In future I'd stick to this menu which is definitely value for money. 

Belated Happy Father's Day, Mr G.  Thanks for being a good 'un!

Comments