Recipe - Eton Mess Cheesecake

I read an article this week, that half of us would struggle to cook five recipes from memory, and that one in eight would need to follow a recipe to make an omelette!  I'm not that bad, but I admit, I am a recipe follower.  I don't know why this information doesn't stick in my head, I can remember my first love's phone number but not how to make a curry.  I don't chuck things together and hope for the best.  I don't devise recipes, because let's face it, it's probably been done before, anyway.  

Two things have piqued my interest this week.  My mate Dave went off to Dubai and on his final night he posted a picture to Facebook, sat with a huge glass of 'Dynamite Prawns'.  I immediately went off on a search for a copycat recipe.  I think it's a PF Changs dish, and there's loads of recipes online to sift through.  I think that in this instance having not tried the original dish will be a help!  And secondly, cheesecake.  I'm in a cheesecake state of mind.  Eton Mess Cheesecake, is what I thought.  A quick Google search showed I wasn't the only one who had this thought, some were baked, some no bake.  But I know exactly what I want to do with mine, I even know how it will taste. So, without further ado...




Ingredients:
300g biscuit, blitzed into crumbs.  I used Crinkle Crunch.
100g butter, melted

300 ml double cream
300g full fat cream cheese
200 ml sour cream
120g icing sugar

Punnet of Strawberries, quartered
Meringue nests

Make a base with the biscuit crumbs and butter.  Press into a lined tin.

Whisk the double cream.  In another bowl, whisk the cheese, sour cream and icing sugar.  Fold in the cream.  Spoon over the biscuit base.

Quarter a punnet of strawberries and scatter on top.  Crush meringue nests on top.  Refrigerate until ready to eat.  

I'd advise leaving the meringue until ready to eat, as they will disintegrate over the course of the day.



Comments