Recipe - Griddle me this... Welsh Cakes

Continuing on my freezer-filling expedition, I finally satisfied my curiosity about griddles.  I have a griddle pan, which I use to cook steaks on.  It is ridged to give those charred lines to your food.  So when I've been reading about cooking things such as Welsh Cakes on a griddle, it didn't make sense to me.  I now know what a griddle is, and it's not the same as a griddle pan (which is also known as a grill pan, and to me, it makes a bit more sense to call it that and drop the word 'griddle').  Well, I don't have one a griddle, so a heavy frying pan will have to do for my next two items.  Welsh Cakes and Potato Cakes.  My youngest made some Welsh Cakes in school on St David's Day and they were really good.  Potato cakes, I love eating with bacon and egg, but store bought ones are hit and miss.  I wondered what homemade ones tasted like.  After satisfying myself with the simplicity of the recipe, I decided to have a go myself.  Then realised that I had no potatoes until I go shopping tomorrow, d'oh!  So, for today, Welsh Cakes!

Welsh Cakes

Welsh Cakes

250g self raising flour
half a tsp mixed spice
half a tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
125g unsalted butter or margarine
75g caster sugar
50g mixed fruit (I used sultanas and raisins)
1 beaten egg
5 tsp of milk
Butter to grease the griddle or pan

Sieve the flour, spice, baking powder and salt into a bowl.  Add the butter and rub until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.  Stir in the mixed fruit and sugar.  Mix in the egg and milk until a stiff dough forms.

On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat out the dough until it's about 5mm thick.  Cut out with cookie cutters, I found the smooth side easier to use than the fluted edge.  Grease a pan and heat on a low heat.  Add three welsh cakes at a time to the pan.  After a couple of minutes, turn the cakes over to cook on the other side.  Remove from the pan to the plate and sprinkle liberally with caster sugar.

Do keep an eye on them as they cook, because they can go from golden brown to cremated in a matter of seconds.  I found it easier using tongs to turn them over, than a fish slice.


Yes, they taste as good as they look

Let's see how long these last for, or indeed, if any actually make it as far as the freezer!

Comments

  1. ooooh they look yummy. I've only ever had welsh cakes once and that was last year!!! You have my address for when you do your next batch!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, so if you should stop by, just give a little wave to me and be sure to say 'Hi!' :-)

I know, I know... poetry also not my strong point...